Ty McSwain is a results-oriented quality engineer with history of delivering Lean Six-Sigma process improvement projects on-time and within budget. He also has exceptional facilitation skills and has facilitated more than 25 Lean Six-Sigma projects in the automotive industry. Ty has developed business process maps utilizing Visio software for the past 20 years.
Kellogg Graduate School of Management
Graduate; Kellogg Management Institute (Executive Program) 05-96
Southern Polytechnic State University
Master of Science in Management 12-93
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH
Bachelors of Science in Manufacturing Engineering 05-83
- Certified Six-Sigma Black Belt (Aveta Institute - ASQ BOK, 2009)
- Certified Lean Manager (Lean Learning Center, 2005)
Nissan North America 06-17 to Present
Smyrna Manufacturing Plant
Sr. Quality Engineer
- Responsible for supplier plant quality and field warranty concerns as they relate to production, purchased electrical, interior, exterior trim, chassis, body components and systems.
- Provide engineering support for current model and minor model vehicles.
- Serve as a member of technical teams for body, electrical, chassis and exterior trim components and systems; functional trials, and quality system development.
- Review supplier processes for process change requests and facility site transfer trials and gives approval based on Alliance New Parts Quality Procedure (ANPQP) requirements.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) 03-11 to 06-17
Warren Truck Assembly Plant
Sr. Quality Engineer
- Perform root cause analysis of quality issues, using advanced problem solving tools such as Kepner Tregoe, Design of Experiments, FMEA’s and other tools within the WCM (World Class Manufacturing) strategy.
- Supplier quality management including, PPAP compliance evaluation, supplier performance monitoring and feedback.
- Recommend and implement cost effective permanent corrective actions based on priorities set by cost deployment, risk analysis or quality matrix.
- Analyze quality data from internal and external indicators to ensure calibration.
- Manage engineering changes working with cross-functional teams to ensure timely execution.
- Conduct capability studies to ensure robustness of product or process changes.
- Recommend and validate rework procedures as required.
- Develop standards and best methods for performing process inspections.
Dematic Corporation 05-09 to 03-11
Grand Rapids, MI
Manufacturing Quality Engineer
Plan and direct activities associated with development, application, and maintenance of quality standards for manufacturing processes, materials, and products:
- Responsible for Quality System Maintenance.
- Root cause problem solving analysis and implementation of corrective action for process related concerns. Tools include FMEA’s, 8D’s, and Six-Sigma methodologies.
- Responsible for continual improvement activities to enhance the quality system, such as 5S, Kaizen lean methods, including; Poke-Yoke, VSM, Kanbans, and Work Cell development.
- Interface with Project Management, Engineering and Operations to ensure transfer to production of new products are in accordance with approved data.
- Support the Quality inspectors to ensure that products and processes comply with the relevant requirements of the quality management system.
- Conduct audits, including closing out audit findings, creating audits finding reports and determine proper corrective and preventive actions.
- Analyze failure, corrective and preventive action to respond to customer complaints.
- Create and maintain company quality documentation, such as quality manuals and procedures.
Pinnacle Associates Group, Inc. 12-03 to 04-09
Sr. Project Consultant
Provide Management Consulting services to a range of clients within the automotive, food and consumer products industries. Services include Overall Organizational Effectiveness Evaluation, Strategic Business Planning, Project Execution, and Asset Management systems integration.
Sara Lee Corporation
Downers Grove, IL
- Lead plant performance improvement through Lean production system design, effective problem-solving techniques, the design and management of performance improvement initiatives, and the training and coaching of plant personnel to accomplish the same.
- Implement Maximo EAM audit functions for asset utilization and performace monitoring.
- Effectively communicate with corporate and plant management, and coach frontline supervisors and operating managers in how to better incorporate performance improvement activities into their daily workload.
Coca-Cola Consolidated, Inc.
- Establish, implement, maintain, and improve manufacturing processes, process standards and work activities.
- Develop project scope for Lean system integration across North American facilities
- Responsible for establishing a Lean culture within bottling facilities utilizing advanced problem solving, risk and value stream analysis, and team building skills.
- Plan and execute the monitoring of work performed in the system, review operations for improvements, make appropriate recommendations to corporate leadership for increased utilization of resources such as manpower, material, equipment and space.
Auburn Hills, MI
- Implement the TPM strategy in the Large Car/Small Car assembly division.
- Implement EAM strategy for overall equipment effectiveness.
- Manage systems integration between Maximo, SharePoint, and SAP EAM platforms.
- Participate in verification of the TPM checkpoints at all divisions, including; USA, Canada, and Mexico.
- Coordinate TPM benchmarking for best practice sharing across divisions and platforms.
Siemens - Westinghouse Power Corporation 01-01 to 12-03
Manager - Total Quality & Continuous Improvement
Primary responsibilities include the coordination, supervision, and management of the Continuous Improvement and Total Quality functions. The specific objectives of the position were to; enhance Plant Quality Initiatives, establish a Continuous Improvement culture within the Charlotte, NC facility. Implement Lean Manufacturing methodologies (i.e.) Kaizen, TPM, Six Sigma, etc., reduce overall manufacturing and non-conformance cost while meeting or exceeding plant performance metrics including: Safety, Quality, On-Time Delivery, and Product Cost.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Institute of Industrial Engineers
- American Society for Quality
- American Management Association